In-House Controller/Accounting Executive
The California Grocers Association is a statewide trade association representing the food industry since 1898. CGA represents approximately 300 retail members operating over 6,000 food stores in California and Nevada, and approximately 150 grocery supplier companies. Retail membership includes chain and independent supermarkets, convenience stores and mass merchandisers.
This position is currently being handled by an outside CPA firm but the Association has grown to the point that an in-house full-time position is preferable. This position will report directly to the Association’s President/CEO and at an appropriate time in the future, to the Senior Vice President of Administration. There will be substantial interaction with members of the organization and several boards and committees affiliated with the association including a separate educational foundation. Presentations to various Boards, committees and groups will be necessary and frequent. The Association owns a small building in Sacramento, which will require managing the accounting needs for CGA and tenants.
1. Strong accounting skills including experience with budgeting, financial statement analysis and preparation.
2. Strong organizational and prioritizing skills.
3. Ability to self-direct and self-manage multi faceted work load of a busy association.
4. Contributing and compatible team player. Works closely with the association’s senior management team and various boards and committees.
5. Ability to understand, organize and improve current procedures and tasks.
6. Helps CEO and Senior Management Team manage several boards, financials, financial institutions and outside financial consultants.
7. Knowledge in investments, 401 (k) benefits and payroll management mandatory.
8. Manage accounting functions for Association’s building and tenants.
9. Strong Excel, Quick Books, SAGE, Crystal and accounting software skills.
- Minimum of five years of experience working as a controller for a large company or preferably an association required. Similar experience at a CPA firm also acceptable.
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills are a premium quality.
- Strong verbal communication skills and the ability to answer questions, present solutions and suggest efficiencies are a premium quality.
- Four-year Bachelors Degree in accounting mandatory
- Current CPA credentials preferred
- Minimum: One full time staff member and accounting manager
Employee may experience the following physical demands for extended periods of time.
- View computer monitors
- Standing for community functions, presentations, trade shows, etc.
- Travel to other locations to represent CGA (Minimum 10%)
Work is performed in a corporate office environment in downtown Sacramento.
The California Grocers Association provides medical, dental, vision and chiropractic insurance for the employee and eligible dependents, and life insurance and long term disability for the employee. The Association also provides a generous 401(k) and profit sharing program. Parking in downtown location provided. Generous sick, vacation and holiday schedule provided.
The annual salary will be commensurate with experience and credentials but begins at $65,000.
The above information in this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees in this job.
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter to HR Manager, Lesley Hall at [email protected]. No phone calls, please.