CGA is seeking a Controller to oversee the operations of the finance department and manage the Association’s accounting, financial reports, and investment accounts. Find more details on the position below.
Interested? Apply on LinkedIn.
The Controller manages the accounting needs, financial reports, and investment accounts for the California Grocers Association, the CGA Educational Foundation and Aisle 3 Concepts, LLC. This position manages the operations of the finance department, which includes accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank reconciliations, and payroll.
The Association serves and represents the grocery industry and advocates on their behalf. As a team, the CGA staff has created a culture statement to reflect our values: We are an empowered team guided by integrity and trust, to develop successful, long-term outcomes for our organization. At our core, we are collaborators who embrace each other’s diversity of perspectives and talents.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintains a documented system of accounting policies and procedures; implements a system of controls over accounting transactions to minimize risk.
- Leads the organization’s finance department including managing one, direct staff member.
- Oversees the production of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports; ensures that the reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles or financial reporting standards.
- Manages the annual budget process and periodic forecasts; reports significant budget differences to management.
- Provides financial analysis as needed and reconciles investment accounts monthly.
- Works with external auditors and provides necessary information for the annual audit.
- Oversees the management of payroll processes, 401(k) benefits and contributions and the employee benefits package.
- Manages insurance policies and claims, including worker’s compensation, general liability, Directors & Officers, and building insurance.
- Manages accounting functions for Association’s building and tenants including rent roll and reviewing leases.
- Working with the CEO/COO, manages several committees, and outside financial consultants.
- Makes presentations to various Boards, committees and groups.
- Manage IT contract and services including coordinating upgrades, security protocols, and troubleshooting minor issues.
- Performs other related duties as necessary or assigned.
- Strong Excel, QuickBooks Accounting Desktop 2021, and accounting software skills.
- Strong verbal communication skills and the ability to answer questions, present solutions and suggest efficiencies.
- Excellent accounting skills including experience with budgeting, financial statement analysis and preparation.
- Ability to deliver quality work on tight deadlines, with strong organization and priority setting skills.
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills. Must be able to communicate financial information into sound business language so people of all levels can understand.
- Ability to self-direct and self-manage multi-faceted workload of a busy association.
- Contributing and compatible team player. Works closely with the association’s senior leadership team and various boards and committees.
- Excellent management and supervisory skills.
Education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- Seven to ten years of related experience required.
- Demonstrated skills and management experience overseeing a department and direct report.
- Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Account designation preferred.
- Understanding of applicable laws and regulations.
- Understanding of financial data analysis and reporting.
- Knowledge of payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable functions.
Work is generally performed in an office environment in downtown Sacramento with a flexible work from home option following completion of 90-day performance evaluation. Occasional overnight travel to CGA events throughout California.
The California Grocers Association provides medical, dental, and vison insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and life insurance and long term disability insurance for the employee. The Association also provides eligible employees with a generous 401(k) and profit sharing program along with paid sick, vacation and holiday time. Parking in downtown location provided.
The position is full time, exempt. Salary commensurate with experience and credentials.
The information provided in this description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications required of employees in this job.
Employee may experience the following physical demands for extended periods of time:
- View computer monitors;
- Sitting at a desk;
- Standing for CGA events;
- Occasional overnight travel (including driving and flying) to other locations within California, to support CGA events.
This position supervises the Senior Accountant & Assistant Office Manager position.