MEMBERSHIP AND EVENT EMPLOYEE (Independent Contractor, 1099)
The California Grocers Association is a statewide trade association representing the food industry since 1898. CGA represents approximately 300 retail members operating over 6,000 food stores in California and Nevada, and approximately 150 grocery supplier companies. Retail membership includes chain and independent supermarkets, convenience stores and mass merchandisers.
This position will assist with duties assigned to the Senior Manager of Marketing and Membership while she is on leave (approximately 16 weeks).
Under the general direction of the Senior Vice President of Marketing and Business Development, the Membership and Event Employee will manage the Association’s membership and participate in CGA events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Membership Department
- Manage membership services, including maintaining accurate member data (updating member database), processing membership renewals/new membership applications, and providing accurate membership information to potential and existing members;
- Work with Senior Vice President to follow up on independent retailers membership drive;
- Manage website inquires for membership information and correspond with individuals regarding membership, renewals, and other general questions;
- Assemble and send “Welcome Packet” to new members
- Follow up with individuals regarding membership renewals and new memberships (i.e., phones calls and email correspondence);
- Coordinate communications and registration for Supplier Executive Council (SEC) store tour.
- Events Department
- Attend CGA Strategic Conference and assist conference team with meeting coordination and other tasks;
- Assist conference team with prep work and shipping/packing needs for the CGA Strategic Conference.
- Miscellaneous Duties
- Assist receptionist and office manager with daily office duties, including answering phones and maintaining front of office;
- General office duties as assigned.
- Minimum qualifications include:
- Excellent customer service and telephone skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, such as Word, Excel, and Outlook is preferred;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to answer questions, present solutions and suggest efficiencies;
- Ability to understand, organize and improve current procedures and tasks;
- Ability to self-direct and self-manage diverse workload in a busy statewide trade association;
- Ability to establish and execute project timelines and prioritize tasks;
- Previous experience in a membership organization or related field is preferred.
Work is generally performed in a corporate office environment in downtown Sacramento with occasional travel to CGA events throughout California.
The information provided in this description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications required of employees in this job.
Employee may experience the following physical demands for extended periods of time:
- View computer monitors;
- Sitting at a desk;
- Standing for CGA events;
- Occasional travel to other locations within California, to support CGA events.
This is an independent contractor 1099 position. This person will work in the CGA office in downtown Sacramento on a flexible schedule, coordinated with the Senior Vice President of Marketing and Business Development.
DURATION OF EMPLOYMENT
Approximate start date – August 12, 2019
Approximate end date – Dec 13, 2019