Vice president of government relations
The Vice President of Government Relations, is the Association’s chief lobbyist and is responsible for managing all aspects of CGA’s advocacy efforts. Responsibilities include representing CGA members on strategic advocacy efforts before the Legislature, regulatory agencies and municipal bodies. The Vice President will be required to develop and direct an aggressive grassroots outreach program to CGA members and a strong political program including fundraising for CGA’s PAC. The Vice President will develop and facilitate coalitions with our membership, other associations, chambers of commerce and interested parties to maximize resources and achieve success.
Duties and responsibilities
Oversees and manages state, local and regulatory government relations programs including:
- Manage internal and external government relations staff and contractor;
- Manage selection process of contract lobbyists and consultants for government relations programs;
- Manage internal and external communications relating to policy issues and association policy positions;
- Lead development of policy positions and legislative/regulatory engagement efforts in a consistent manner statewide;
- Develop and execute plans to position CGA as a thought leader on policy issues and industry initiatives (e.g. white papers, one-pagers, earned media, etc…);
- Develop and execute robust grassroots engagement programs including direct member engagement with policymakers;
- Collaborate with CGAEF to develop and deliver compliance assistance to CGA member companies;
- Represent CGA at external policy and industry conferences and events; and
- Serve as media spokesperson for CGA on policy-related issues and positions when appropriate; work with VP, Communications on other media opportunities
- This position requires approximately 75% of the candidate’s time directly managing the government relations program and 25% of the candidate’s time helping with association business.
- Candidate must be self-starter with ability to work independently. Mandatory qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required, graduate degree preferred;
- Minimum 10 years’ experience working in and/or lobbying the Legislature and regulatory agencies along with experience in media engagement
- Registration as CA lobbyist in good standing, other states if needed
- Possess thorough understanding of legislative, regulatory, and local government political and policymaking processes;
- Ability to communicate complex issues clearly and concisely to internal and external stakeholders;
Possess excellent verbal communication and presentation skills;
- Ability to develop and manage department budgets and budgeting processes;
- Demonstrated ability to manage internal personnel and external contractors;
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and modify plans frequently as circumstances may require;
- Ability to work cooperatively across departments to achieve overall organization goals.
Work is generally performed in corporate offices in downtown Sacramento. Frequent meetings and hearings in the State Capitol and regulatory agencies in Sacramento. Some hearings and meetings in City Halls and Board of Supervisors offices across California. CGA provides medical, dental, and vision benefits for the employee and eligible dependents, and life insurance and long term disability benefits for the employee. The association also provides a generous 401(k) and profit sharing program. Parking in downtown Sacramento location provided along with generous sick, vacation, and holiday schedule.
Employee may be required to stand or sit for long periods in front of a computer or sit or stand for long periods at hearings, presentations, trade shows, lobbying and CGA events. Frequent overnight travel required.
This position supervises the Senior Manager, Government Relations and external contract positions. There is a likelihood of supervising staff in other departments within CGA.
To apply, please send resumes and cover letters to Jennifer Gold at firstname.lastname@example.org.